Monday, April 13, 2009

Lily pad damage/disease?

parents pond


small


goldfish and koi


lily pads are taking increasing damage that looks like insect feeding (like slugs on lettuce)


whats causing it and what can be done to stop it ?





many thanks in advance

Lily pad damage/disease?
I can only answer this from my experience in MY pond. My Koi nibble off the sides of the lilly pads, as do my Comets. Whenever a new leaf is forming on the plant, one of the %26quot;floating%26quot; leaves or pads, will turn yellow. This is a natural process.





If you see any insects on the lily pads, the Koi and golfish will make quick work of them. My fish actually breech the surface of the water, to take small spiders (Striders-known as floating spiders) and insects that rest on the lily pads.





Maybe if you could tell me what the pads look like, I could help you identify what is natural and what is damage caused by the fish or insects.





Koi%26#039;s just love to nibble on plants. Some people say they will tear them up, but I have not had that experience with my Koi%26#039;s. They just nibble on the roots and do not harm the plants.





Now when my lilly%26#039;s bloom, you can be sure that a deer will visit the pond and take the whole bloom. Pigs...LOL





Hope this helps...



super nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment